Friday, February 27, 2009

Fitting in

It's always hard fitting in to a new place, a new school and especially a new country.
Dondan having several challenges with this move is starting to open up a bit.
It was really hard at first, he would "tic" and then the "tics" would change, they would go from mild to aggressive from one day to the next. I talked with the school nurse, she recognized his behavior as "tics" and was right on board with what to do and how to help.
Everyone is so helpful. Dondan's teacher is but a phone call or e-mail away and we have contact on a regular basis. She informs me of any changes or concerns she may have. That's how I found out he wasn't eating his lunch at school. We were able to remedy that situation quickly.
Dondan wears his hoody jacket, everyday to school, with the hoody on. It's been down right hot some days, but he won't remove it. I'm thinking it's a security blanket for him, he can "hide" inside his little world, interact and still be part of the world outside.
He's been "burrow" more often lately than not. I've rigged his hammocks in his room to the top bunk part of his bunk bed, but he wants our basement back. It's all we can do for the time being.
This morning I spoke to his teacher and she informed me that, yesterday he finally joined in to play a game with the other kids. It's a start and I am happy for it! He usually sits off to the side and watches or he'll play alone. He will try and mingle without completely being involved. Milling around the out skirts, without making any actual contact, I know it's weird. It's like he's yearning for that friendship, but he doesn't what to do. Everything is just so new and he is coping how he can. I always ask about the kids at school, in his class and if he's made friends. We have a neighbor boy who is close in age for him to play with, but he hasn't wanted to make friends yet. He made a comment the other day in a loud voice saying, "There's NO Jefferey here in Okinawa!" I felt so bad, he really misses his best friend back in Washington.
Dondan's been doing great with riding his bike, we moved him up to a 20" bike and he has a blast riding on 2 wheels. He tries to keep up with Mike jumping the speed bumps and what not. One evening on our walk he threw a rager fit when we wouldn't let him ride down the BIG, STEEP hill. Far be it for me for not wanting him to break his neck. We compromised and let him start from the middle and go down. It worked out fine, no spills.

Mike has no problems fitting in except that his teachers find it weird that he is "too comfortable" in his new surroundings. They can all stuff it and I have no problems telling them that. I've had a conference with one of his teachers and I made it very clear where I stood. That's another story which I will not divulge on here.

Anyways, Mike has made several friends and true to form most of them are girls. He even has a stalker already, go Mike. His best friend so far is a girl named Marissa, she's a very sweet and kooky young lady, who happens to be LDS. Though not into WoW, she still likes mythical creatures and fantasy related things. They are like peas in a pod and have been joined at the hip since they met.